Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Story or Action

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Story or Action Empty
PostSubject: Story or Action   Story or Action Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2022 4:28 am

What's more important to you and why?
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

Story or Action Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story or Action   Story or Action Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 am

Especially before about a decade ago - and those are the games I've played - storytelling in games is secondary and primitive. Partially this is because of the nature of the media: either you have to keep the story vague or take freedom of choice and action from player. Nevertheless, I've hardly ever encountered a game where the story itself could exist without gameplay - one of the reasons video game movies are mostly awful.

Meanwhile there's also adventure and puzzle games that have sometimes no "action" at all. So the question should rather be "story or gameplay?"

That said, I'll have to admit I can somewhat enjoy a game with bad gameplay but great story. Nocturne and Mafia 1 come to mind of ones I've played. But still, if I'm to pick between a game with great story and one with good gameplay, I'll always prefer the latter.
Back to top Go down

Story or Action
Page 1 of 1