Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's an underrated video game?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

What's an underrated video game? Empty
PostSubject: What's an underrated video game?   What's an underrated video game? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 4:34 am

My friend said Minecraft.

Which one do you think is an underrated video game?
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

What's an underrated video game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's an underrated video game?   What's an underrated video game? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 10:03 am

With Minecraft and Sims and in some ways you could add Myst to that list it's a matter of "what is a game". Same with rhythm games, Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution and such.
When something can be questioned whether it is a "real" game or is favored by casuals who aren't "real" gamers, it's not highly thought of. With exception of Myst, these are only underrated by elitist gatekeepers (and when it comes to games, I am one).

Going for the domestic, I want to consider Angry Birds underrated. It's widely seen as just a casual mobile game series, but it's proper physics puzzle, pretty much the only thing comparable to Lemmings in gaming history. I'm the first to say games don't have to be "fun", but I'll admit it doesn't necessarily ruin a game either and AB is much of time fun. On the other hand, when you go for 100% the birds aren't the only ones angry...

Now that Baldur's Gate is back with BG3, I want to remind people of its sister series Icewind Dale. While BGs are often high among best games ever lists, IWDs are forgotten and that's a grave injustice. Icewind Dale 1 is better than either of the old BGs, especially with the expansion and free DLC. IWD2 would be too if it wasn't for BG2 expansion Throne of Bhaal (by far best part of BG1&2).

Most examples I could think of are unknown, obscure or forgotten rather than underrated.
Good games do have their fierce, even if small, fandom.

Jazzy likes this post

Back to top Go down

What's an underrated video game?
Page 1 of 1