Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An animal encounter you've had

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

An animal encounter you've had Empty
PostSubject: An animal encounter you've had   An animal encounter you've had Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2024 4:34 am

What's the most incredible animal encounter you've had?
Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: An animal encounter you've had   An animal encounter you've had Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 10:56 am

I've had a few encounters, nothing close. I've had a couple coyotes near me they quickly go away. I did have one winter a big buck with a huge rack run about 10 feet past me. Luckily, I was between my vehicles in my driveway as it ran across and leaped the driveway. It would have killed me if I wasn't in between the cars. I actually felt the ground shaking before I saw it coming at me. I stepped back just in time.
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

PostSubject: Re: An animal encounter you've had   An animal encounter you've had Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 12:00 pm

One time walking in woods I heard pretty loud racket. I expected it to be a person going through some bushes (a reasonable assumption in the place).

It was two squirrels going around a pine trunk at enormous speed. Except when they stopped, I saw one wasn't a squirrel; it was a stoat that had been hunting the squirrel.

I was maybe 5 meters from them, the squirrel frozen on trunk bit above my head and the stoat slightly higher on lowest branch. I'm not sure how the squirrel slipped away, being concentrated on the stoat - I've only seen one one other time in my life (and even with that I'm not sure of the species).

I'm staring the stoat, the stoat is staring me... and it growled at me. (I don't know how territorial they can get, would that thing jump on me? I mean, they do kill hares.)
Then it went behind the tree, run to ground and into another further tree and then I lost it.

Vince likes this post

Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: An animal encounter you've had   An animal encounter you've had Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 11:37 am

I just remembered that I've had many encounters with animals and some closer than others. I was in California golfing at Pebble Beach, and I was stopped on the tee box and held up by a herd of elk crossing the fairway I didn't want to hit into them. I hear they are good eats. 

However, I hit an alligator in Florida with my golf ball, and I've have eaten alligator meat many times. The alligator was definitely oversized. They told us they relocate the larger alligators for safety reasons to the residents and golfers, I think it was 10 or 12 feet long. The ball had lodged underneath its belly. 

Also, at a Florida golf course, there was a huge thick black snake trying to go into the cup of the green and one of the guys I was playing with tried to hook it with his putter and throw it out of the way, but it kept on slipping off. We had to wait for it to decide that it couldn't go into the cup and slither off the green. 

I also had an encounter with an alligator on the St Johns River I had rented a houseboat, and I pulled into a cove and stopped and dropped an anchor to take a break and make lunch. I heard banging and I looked over the side and it was huge alligator banging into a boat. I'm not sure what it wanted. Maybe a fish that had gone underneath. But it did scare me. On that same trip on the houseboat, I saw manatees swimming next to the boat.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An animal encounter you've had   An animal encounter you've had Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An animal encounter you've had
Page 1 of 1