Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A perverse new law (U.K.)

Go down 
+2
Lämmchen
Jazzy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

A perverse new law (U.K.) Empty
PostSubject: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 am

British lawmakers will vote on Tuesday on moves by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to ban anyone aged 15 and under from ever buying cigarettes.

Though expected to be approved, Sunak's plan to impose some of the world's strictest anti-smoking rules has angered some members of his governing Conservative Party including former prime ministers Liz Truss and Boris Johnson, who say the state should not interfere in how people live their lives.

Read more

Thoughts about banning anyone aged 15 and under from ever buying cigarettes?
Back to top Go down
https://critters.forumotion.com/
Beaky
Beaky

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 am

as someone who used to smoke this law if passed is dumb smoking isnt even one of the main issues right now in the uk most of the issues is anti social behaviour which is mostly caused by drugs and alcohol and last of police funding.. for example if i committed a crime in my town it would take a whole hour for a cop to even arrive as there is no longer a police station in my town due to tory budget cuts
Back to top Go down
Lämmchen
Lämmchen

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 9:10 am

Why is the title "perverse" when it is healthier for children to not smoke???? As someone who had oral cancer, and probably from second hand smoke since I never smoked, I think this law is a long time coming. I'm actually shocked that children are allowed to buy anything to smoke so that's more perverse to me.
Back to top Go down
Beaky
Beaky

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 9:54 am

Lämmchen wrote:
Why is the title "perverse" when it is healthier for children to not smoke???? As someone who had oral cancer, and probably from second hand smoke since I never smoked, I think this law is a long time coming. I'm actually shocked that children are allowed to buy anything to smoke so that's more perverse to me.

kids arnt alllowed at all but people buy things for them its the same with beer but this law will only increase sales for ilegal cigs which arnt not good at all
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 10:43 am

Didn't they do this in New Zealand some time ago?

Imagine if they tried something like this with alcohol.
...oh, right.

Jazzy and Beaky like this post

Back to top Go down
DrLeftover
DrLeftover

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm

Sounds right.

A perverse new law (U.K.) 58c7ca5bdd08953f3c8b45c3?width=800&format=jpeg&auto=webp

After all, Britain is the country that gave us Nannies.
Back to top Go down
http://themediadesk.com/
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 am

In the Netherlands and Germany you have to be 18 to buy it. 15 is very young. Weird and absurd that they object.
'The state should not interfere in how people live their lives.' Don't they have to pay taxes either then?
They want to ban it here altogether. It's forbidden to sell it in grocery stores now and very expensive.
Back to top Go down
Beaky
Beaky

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 am

16 used to be the legal age here in the uk but i believe they raised it to 18 a while back
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A perverse new law (U.K.)   A perverse new law (U.K.) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A perverse new law (U.K.)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gabfest :: Politics-
Jump to: