Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's the worst job you ever done in your life?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Empty
PostSubject: What's the worst job you ever done in your life?   What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2024 3:33 am

Mine was being a waitress at a busy rest stop restaurant.

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: What's the worst job you ever done in your life?   What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2024 6:37 am

Worked in catering in a university cantine, but not a normal one, but a business school for rich kids. One started to flirt with me. After giving them food behind a counter and cleaning their tables I went to the cleaning up part. They could throw their forks knives plates through a hole and it would fall in a thing with water and all that filthy water splashed in my face and I grabbed it out of the water. I always feel sorry for the ppl at my office who do catering work, get paid lousy and work way harder than me. At least they don't have to grab it out of the water though.

Jazzy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: What's the worst job you ever done in your life?   What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2024 4:46 pm

I've had some tough jobs but what has made any job even a good one bad has been management. So, I will just stick with tough jobs and not consider bad supervision. I did a few months as a migrant worker picking a variety of crops. Green onions, green beans, radishes, and cucumbers to name a few. All day long in hot humid weather for very low pay. I really didn't need the money, I just wanted to try out the job. I made enough for a pizza on the weekends.

Picking green onions, the smell stays on your hands for days! It matters not how much you wash your hands. The actual migrants, usually traveling from Texas to the north looking for fields and orchards to work hated me. They would come with their families and all that could work, would work for the good of the family. I was just a local kid working next to them.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Agricu10

When I got older and able to work at the steel mills I worked as a casting man, pouring iron at 2300°F for ingot molds.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Foundr11

One time I saved a life but on two separate occasions I ended up in the hospital myself. But the compensation was big. I made a good amount of money.

After the ingot mold was poured and cooled, I would crawl in and clean them cutting the iron by hand with a chipping gun and grinding it as smooth as glass with large handheld grinders. This is a photo of one of the small molds, I would say this weighted about 5-10 tons, but I would crawl in molds that weight up to 40 tons. I had to wear fresh air equipment including a respirator all day long. The bottleneck molds were like working in a very tight cave laying on your back and stomach with enough room just to rollover.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Ingot_10

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: What's the worst job you ever done in your life?   What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2024 4:25 am

Vince wrote:
I've had some tough jobs but what has made any job even a good one bad has been management. So, I will just stick with tough jobs and not consider bad supervision. I did a few months as a migrant worker picking a variety of crops. Green onions, green beans, radishes, and cucumbers to name a few. All day long in hot humid weather for very low pay. I really didn't need the money, I just wanted to try out the job. I made enough for a pizza on the weekends.

Picking green onions, the smell stays on your hands for days! It matters not how much you wash your hands. The actual migrants, usually traveling from Texas to the north looking for fields and orchards to work hated me. They would come with their families and all that could work, would work for the good of the family. I was just a local kid working next to them.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Agricu10

When I got older and able to work at the steel mills I worked as a casting man, pouring iron at 2300°F for ingot molds.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Foundr11

One time I saved a life but on two separate occasions I ended up in the hospital myself. But the compensation was big. I made a good amount of money.

After the ingot mold was poured and cooled, I would crawl in and clean them cutting the iron by hand with a chipping gun and grinding it as smooth as glass with large handheld grinders. This is a photo of one of the small molds, I would say this weighted about 5-10 tons, but I would crawl in molds that weight up to 40 tons. I had to wear fresh air equipment including a respirator all day long. The bottleneck molds were like working in a very tight cave laying on your back and stomach with enough room just to rollover.

What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Ingot_10
On a second thought the catering job was not that bad.

Vince likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the worst job you ever done in your life?   What's the worst job you ever done in your life? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1