Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Game you won't recommend

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Game you won't recommend Empty
PostSubject: Game you won't recommend   Game you won't recommend Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2023 4:56 am

What is a game you won't recommend?
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

Game you won't recommend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game you won't recommend   Game you won't recommend Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2023 6:51 am

Latest such I've played was Fantastic 4 based on the 2005 film and only barely more enjoyable than the movie (which is in my bottom 5 Marvel franchise films ever).
Here's what I wrote about it:

Quote :
Based on one of worst Marvel superhero movies ever, 2005 Fantastic Four (which apparently still is better than the reboot), Fantastic 4 is an almost as awful game. It is a licensed game in the classic bad meaning of the term.

There are some good aspects, but they are often nullified by the bad.
Normal hack'n'slash fighting isn't terrible. But the single fact that getting hit freezes you long enough to get hit again which freezes you long enough to... You get the point. A basic design fault that persists decade after decade.
You have several great classic villains (unlike in the film...) but none of the boss fights are particularly fun. In fact my favorite boss fight was against a generic monster worm, instead of confrontations with Annihilus, Blastaar or Doom himself.
There's a nice structure, which similarly to Lego games would motivate you to play levels again - if they weren't so annoying and crappy that you never want to see them again.

The plain bad things include time limits to figure out what you're supposed to do (while being attacked by enemies), usually even without a clock or other indicator to tell how much time you have left. Failing these, as well as tasks to protect characters or objects from enemies, is a straight up game over, restart the level.
There are also (fortunately rare) pits to fall - instant death! You do have three lives per level, but couple falls can make life much more uncomfortable. (And it make no sense whatsoever: Human Torch flies, Mr Fantastic and Thing can't really die on falling and Invisible Woman can save herself with force field.)
And there are couple nasty fast puzzles/QTEs, worst of which in the very final level. Most of the game's 38 levels are about 5-10 minutes, one particular took me 25 minutes... except the last one clocked 70 minutes! I'll admit first 20-30 minutes I screwed up misunderstanding which button to push (we'll get next to why) but doing the damn button series, only to find I'll need to do it again and, because I didn't know what to do next, yet again, took me longer than any other whole level.
There's a kind of nice boss fight winning mechanic, but you don't have to use it elsewhere in the game; in the end you must or Doom heals infinitely.

Playing PC version made this even worse. To be fair, IF you have a proper twin stick pad with double shoulder buttons, it's hardly worse than on console. Of course, I don't. I used keyboard to move with WASD, turn camera on arrow keys, had number pad 8456 as action buttons, Home/Del/End/PDown to choose character (because the setup for some reason didn't understand number pad /*-+ unlike everything else I've ever used!) and F and space bar for additional functions. Helluva finger acrobatics.
Now, I'm assuming on console versions have the game tell you buttons (XOAB... whatever each uses). But since on PC the button is wherever you set it, the game instead shows symbol for light/heavy attack, block, cosmic power etc. So you need to remember/understand what key each of six symbols means and push those fast in a QTE. Great.

I admit that it's always more interesting/motivating to play a game with characters you're fond of. But FF wasn't enough to make me enjoy this game - the fact it's based on the film more than comics didn't help, of course.
Fantastic 4 is just plain bad game. It's playable, I did finish it (on easy, not getting the bonus levels) and maybe it'd be slightly better in co-op. But I don't recommend it to anyone.
Back to top Go down

Game you won't recommend
Page 1 of 1