Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sweden edges closer to NATO

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Sweden edges closer to NATO Empty
PostSubject: Sweden edges closer to NATO   Sweden edges closer to NATO Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 4:11 am

The Turkish parliament's foreign affairs commission approved Sweden's NATO membership bid on Tuesday in a key step towards enlarging the Western bloc after 19 months of delays in which Ankara demanded security-related concessions from Stockholm.
Read more
-----------------------------------
If it is possible to drop out Hungary and Turkey from NATO. I believe it is better for NATO to function as an allied forces without Hungary and Turkey. Replace Hungary and Turkey with Sweden and Ukraine. Just my opinion folks, what's yours?
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

PostSubject: Re: Sweden edges closer to NATO   Sweden edges closer to NATO Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 7:59 am

Aside that it's not realistic option to kick anyone out - I guess it'd be easier to break up NATO completely and make a similar alliance to replace it, but then probably few others would drop out - Turkey is one of countries with most strategically important location. Getting thrown out would cause Turkey to find new allies and those wouldn't be ones we like. As bad as it looks now, I'm pretty sure Turkey would be more trouble outside NATO than it is now.

But we ("we" being EU and NATO in general) need to start systematically punishing harder countries that use requirements for unanimous decisions for blackmail. Greece got away with it till Macedonia added the "North" and now we have these two. Either they need to see clear loss of future support and benefits or we need to start changing the rules so that a single county can no longer do this kind of sabotage, ramp it up to at least two or three required for a veto.
Back to top Go down
Beaky
Beaky

PostSubject: Re: Sweden edges closer to NATO   Sweden edges closer to NATO Icon_minitimeWed Dec 27, 2023 8:52 am

unfortunately we need turkey exactly where they are otherwise the rest of europe would be open around the black sea
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweden edges closer to NATO   Sweden edges closer to NATO Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sweden edges closer to NATO
Page 1 of 1