Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Literal Translation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

The Literal Translation Empty
PostSubject: The Literal Translation   The Literal Translation Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 am

The multicultural history of the United States is evident from maps of the country. French, English, Spanish, Hawaiian, and Algonquian are just a handful of the languages you would need to speak in order to understand the literal meanings of every American place name. Fortunately you don’t need to be a polyglot to read a U.S. map like a book; just take a take a look at the graphic below for the English translations of capital city and state names.

Click to see in full size map

What is the translation of your state and capital city?
Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: The Literal Translation   The Literal Translation Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 am

Cool map, thanks for posting it. @Jazzy

Mine is Indian City and the state means land of Indians. I could guess at most of them, but the capitol of Florida I wouldn't have guessed. Smile

Jazzy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

PostSubject: Re: The Literal Translation   The Literal Translation Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am

I never realized Carolina came from king Charles.
And I'd forgotten there's Bismarck among state capitals. I guess not the worst German to name a city after, but...

Pity there's no clear origin for Suomi/Finland or Helsinki. I find most credible the view that there was a person named Hälsing or Helsing (which in turn comes from a historical area in Sweden).
Back to top Go down
Jazzy
Jazzy

PostSubject: Re: The Literal Translation   The Literal Translation Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 3:52 am

State: Green Mountains

Capital City: Naked Hill
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Literal Translation   The Literal Translation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Literal Translation
Page 1 of 1