Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you ever read books in translation?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Do you ever read books in translation? Empty
PostSubject: Do you ever read books in translation?   Do you ever read books in translation? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 3:56 am

How do you think it affects your understanding and appreciation of the work?
Back to top Go down
https://critters.forumotion.com/
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

Do you ever read books in translation? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you ever read books in translation?   Do you ever read books in translation? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 am

Obviously I have.

There are five books I've read both in Finnish and English (all originally English, in all I had read the Finnish version first): Dune and sequel Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert, Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Ringworld by Larry Niven and the last part of HHGttG, Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams.
Anyone who knows The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy can guess that suffers most in translation. The others surprisingly not so much, the worst thing was that Dune and Dune Messiah had different translators and the latter besides being generally worse, didn't follow the phrases and words used in the first book.

I'm realizing I've read hardly any books that weren't written in English. As kid some of the first books I read were Swedish Detective Twins series and there's one other I can think: Tokyo Doesn't Love Us Anymore by Spanish Ray Loriga.

I have to point out one book, Count Zero by William Gibson. I didn't know it was sequel to the famous classic Neuromancer and read it first. And it inspired me to try writing a book myself (following better and worse attempts in quarter century since).
In retrospect, this was because it's a bad translation. Probably not inaccurate - can't tell as I haven't read the English and it was long ago - but it was specifically how it was written in so simple language that it made me think "I could do this!"

Another detail. I went trough a phase of reading Agatha Christie and in one book translator had faced impossible problem: the dying murder victim saying "she..." or something like that.
Finnish doesn't have gendered he/she/him/her, you'd have to make it "that woman" or something clumsy like that. (And there may have more to it, like murderer's name being Shelley or something. Read it 30 years ago.)
So the translator just had to put a footnote there to explain this.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1