Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Should you ask about pay during an interview?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Should you ask about pay during an interview? Empty
PostSubject: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 am

Should you ask about pay during an interview? Why or why not?
Back to top Go down
Lämmchen
Lämmchen

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 am

I was told you shouldn't, but you kind of want to know if it's worth your time. I would love if companies were upfront at the start, before the interview process, so you both know if it's the right job at the right pay. Pay is important.
Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 am

I always did. I even asked before the interview. There was so many opportunities for my profession that I didn't want to waste my time. Plus, money wasn't always the factor whether I chose the job or not.
Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 am

No. It should be just a fixed income you get, same as the others and not: who has the biggest mouth gets the most money.
Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 am

Messy wrote:
No. It should be just a fixed income you get, same as the others and not: who has the biggest mouth gets the most money.

I guess that may be okay for, let's say, a union job. Where you get the slacker and the person that barely wants to do anything alongside the hard worker making the same amount of money and both get paid. But for myself, it depends on your skill level, your ability to travel, your linguistic skills, your ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done. It depends on how much value you bring to the company. The better you are as a resource or product, the more you should cost. Like buying a bad steak or buying a prime steak. As the contractor, we all sell ourselves into servitude. Some are more expensive than others.

Lämmchen and Messy like this post

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 am

Vince wrote:
Messy wrote:

I guess that may be okay for, let's say, a union job. Where you get the slacker and the person that barely wants to do anything alongside the hard worker making the same amount of money and both get paid. But for myself, it depends on your skill level, your ability to travel, your linguistic skills, your ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done. It depends on how much value you bring to the company. The better you are as a resource or product, the more you should cost. Like buying a bad steak or buying a prime steak. As the contractor, we all sell ourselves into servitude. Some are more expensive than others.
I'm just a cartographer. I make maps. I used to do 2 or 3 times as much as my lazy colleague who later got fired, who dumped it on me because I couldn't say no, but he made way more because he was directly hired by them LOL and I spoke to him via Messenger from Facebook. He's now a manager.
Anyway I first worked there through an agency and I just came out of school and was shy. There was no internet yet and everyone I asked what they made was annoying and didn't want to say it, so I had no idea what I had to ask. A roommate then said that his friend made 3200 guilders, that's 1500 euroa month for 40 hours a week with a bachelor's degree, so that's what I asked. Well that was fine with the agency. I think their conscience bothered them, so they gave me 50 guilders more. Then when I got the exact same job but not via them they said: How much do you make? So little? I got 500 more.

Vince likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should you ask about pay during an interview?   Should you ask about pay during an interview? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should you ask about pay during an interview?
Page 1 of 1