Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can morality exist without religion?

Go down 
+2
DrLeftover
Jazzy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jazzy
Jazzy

Can morality exist without religion? Empty
PostSubject: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 4:35 am

Just about everyone tries to be a good person. But what determines what it means to be “good”? Throughout history, many people, if not most, have turned to religion as a source of moral guidance. Yet, plenty of people are not religious, raising an important question:

Can morality exist without religion? (Why/Why Not?
Back to top Go down
DrLeftover
DrLeftover

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 7:46 am

In Rome, Emperor Augustus issued his "Moral Laws" using the authority of his position to enforce them instead of any religious statute.

So, yes.

https://www.worldhistory.org/article/116/augustus-political-social--moral-reforms/
Back to top Go down
http://themediadesk.com/
Messy
Messy

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 9:31 am

Yes even the Bible says so. Everyone has a conscience.

Romans 2
14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 12:30 pm

I always question the opposite, whether morality can exist with religion. Religions dictate right and wrong, give people dogma to follow instead of any moral compass of their own.
Also, most religions say that our life is followed by fair and just judgment, reward and/or punishment. What is then the point of morality in this life (other than benefiting yourself and that's not moral) if justice will be served in the end either way?
Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 7:58 am

I know what the Bible teaches on innate morality. On morality as defined in groups of people. But ultimately, I believe a major amount is taught and learned by piers, family, church, school and other contacts.

Morality is about knowing the difference between right and wrong. It's like having a guide that helps you make good choices, like being kind to others, telling the truth, and not hurting anyone. It’s what helps us know how to treat people and how to be a good person. We all have the option to act within our morality and that outward manifestation is what people mistake as morality. Morality in itself is an inward idea unique to each of us. If people don't act on the morality that they have been taught, then they are psychopaths.

I have recently been in contact with several 3- and 4-year-olds and taken the opportunity to observe both the children and the parenting skills that are being used. They have to be taught to share, tell the truth and be kind to others, even kind to their own parents! I believe immediate punishment and reward is essential.

I don't believe anyone is good. I take it all with a grain of salt and therefore I'm never shocked at what people are capable to do and do to others. What is moral for one group may not be for another. So, public morality can't exist if it's not taught, like the 3-year-old that never learns to share or is never taught that hurting small animals is immoral. Church can play a major part, as does family and upbringing.
Back to top Go down
Heritage
Heritage

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2024 2:35 pm

I think so. Even without knowledge of God, man(kind) was endowed by their Creator with a moral compass, but one that's more subjective (imo...). As we increase in kmowledge of God this internal compass/worldview can become more aligned with the will of God for us. We don't remain static (and neither do non-believers), but change our worldview by internal/external influences as well as through increased knowledge of God

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can morality exist without religion?   Can morality exist without religion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can morality exist without religion?
Page 1 of 1