Gabfest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gabfest

Gabfest is a fun and friendly general discussion community.

HomeHome  TriviaTrivia  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Family tree

Go down 
+3
Jazzy
Kaunisto
Messy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2023 1:31 pm

Do you know your family tree? I saw on Facebook an advertisement yesterday from familysearch. Make your family tree for free. My dad was busy with it for years and we were never interested. But I remember some names and now that I filled it in in this one you got all the info from others for free and one with a Spanish or Portugese name went back to some Roman guy from 100 AD. Funny.
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2023 4:34 pm

I only know my family two generations up and down, aside the names of grandfather's parent.
At a time uncle did some research and it turned out a classmate of mine was also a third cousin, I believe he was the most distant relative I've known or met.

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 3:11 am

If you're interested you can try that familysearch thing, but it only works if someone else has done all the effort. I put in my kids too and their dad. I only know the names of his parents. Not even when they were born and I knew he had one grandma living in some place, but the name, no idea. So I typed the name from his dad. Whoop. There's a match. And I got his family tree back to 1700 or something. They came from a Northern province of Holland and then one went to Indonesia.
They throw it all on internet now for everyone to see.
Back to top Go down
Jazzy
Jazzy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 4:11 am

I, personally, would never put that much personal information on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 2:48 pm

Most stop at 1700, but one guy was Jewish and his wife too and she via her mother and whoever goes back to Adam, cause it's from Saul and Jonathan. This is fabulous.

Last edited by Messy on Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 2:50 pm

Jazzy wrote:
I, personally, would never put that much personal information on the internet.
You can keep your own info private, but you can get the old stuff they already found out.
Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 3:49 pm

https://youtu.be/uyGY2NfYpeE?si=_sTP7ot0-YXCQyUF
Back to top Go down
Heritage
Heritage

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 9:04 pm

A distant cousin of my dad did quite a bit on his side
I have an old VHS tape of my Great-Grandmother recounting her side, as well as some history in her bible, which I have. We're related to the Kennedy's, although we didn't get any of the money  Family tree 1f604

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Beaky
Beaky

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 4:51 am

i did a surname search once and it came back from scotish viking settlers no idea if its accurate or anything

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 8:47 am

Beaky wrote:
i  did a surname search  once and it came back  from  scotish viking settlers  no  idea if its accurate or anything
Oh that's cool!
Back to top Go down
Kaunisto
Kaunisto

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 9:11 am

For me it's harder because apparently in Finnish countryside people didn't really use surnames till about a century ago, they went by house/place they lived in. This last name was taken by grandfather (and apparently used by at least one of his siblings even though none of them ever changed to it officially) and seems his father changed name at least once.

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lämmchen
Lämmchen

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 6:30 am

My dad is really big into genealogy and has been for years. Some of the stuff he's found about our relatives has been interesting and he keeps a file on his computer with pics and gravestones.

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Vince
Vince

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 6:54 am

My brother is into all this genealogy stuff. If he finds something new, he'll let me know but I'm not that much into it. It is interesting but before great grandparents, my life hasn't been affected much by the people in my tree.

Messy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Messy
Messy

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitimeSun Dec 10, 2023 8:56 am

Heritage wrote:
A distant cousin of my dad did quite a bit on his side
I have an old VHS tape of my Great-Grandmother recounting her side, as well as some history in her bible, which I have. We're related to the Kennedy's, although we didn't get any of the money  Family tree 1f604
Oh wow! That's great.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

Family tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Family tree   Family tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Family tree
Page 1 of 1